Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Yesterday I spent a good part of my day playing with Inkscape an open source vector rendering software.  Well what the heck does this have to do with knitting?  Well, when I gift I want to have a gift tag with care instructions.  A few months ago I was researching on how to make my own but there is not a lot of info.  There are some great gift/care tags sold here, and here.  I think they are very nice and cool, but I wanted something that was me, so I set out to create my own.

I started by looking for templates.  I found that there were a lot of tutorials on how to use business card templates to do it.  Again, didn't suit me.  Then I found laylock, where there were some downloads of gift tags that I could print at home.  Getting closer to what I wanted but I wanted the design to be unique to me.  So I downloaded the gift tags PDF, opened it in photoshop, erases the design on the front added, some text on the garment care side, printed them off on cardstock, glued and cut.  Now I have a bunch of blank gift tags.  These were just practice.

That's where inkscape comes in.  I'm learning to use the software so that I can create my own designs.  It's a huge learning curve so it may take a while until I feel that I am good enough.